Saturday, July 27, 2013

Automatic Storage Management (ASM) in 12c

Read me before you start 

One of the best feature that I found with 12c for ASM is "Flex ASM".  It is more flexible that it allows database instance to use remote ASM instance running on a different node. It can be configured to behave like a hybrid using local as well as remote. I will be covering a topic on the same in the future. But to start with I wanted to setup a 12c ASM Instance.



To start with I have setup a Oracle Linux version 5 and installed oracleasm libraries


Then I have configured oracleasm


Added some storage and created diskgroups


Now with the storage ready it is now time to fire the grid installation software.
I have also added several 1gb disk and some for archivelogs.


Created a Data Group and added the disks.



Finally Installed Grid 12c with ASM Disk Group



Verified from SQLPlus


In the upcoming blog we will see about CRSCTL , ASMCA , DBCA and one additional series where I will look into managing 12c completely with SQL Developer (no ssh , no telnet , no grid control )

Popular Posts